Friday, June 14, 2013

Ferry Fiesta! -Lydia James

     As I set off for this pilgrimage I had no idea what to expect. I doubted it would be a dramatically transformative experience where the heavens split open and God came down and spoke to me, but it has definitely left me changed. Back here in Turkey everyone is preparing to leave and discussing what the trip has meant to them. What was most important to me on this journey has been the interactions with other people on the trip and those who crossed my path on the way. 
     If you ask people who know me well, they'll tell you I'm a weird, loud, and crazy person. However, if you ask anyone who I'm not close to they would tell you that I'm pretty quiet and reserved most of the time. I've always had a hard time opening myself up to people who I don't know well. It takes a lot of faith and trust. At the beginning of the pilgrimage we were asked to think about things we want to find on this journey and what we want to leave behind us. I decided to leave behind my fear of letting go of inhibition towards others and it has allowed me to form powerful bonds with the people on this trip and friendships that I hope will last for a long time. 
     Yesterday I had what some would call a "God moment." We were all on a car-ferry to Istanbul and I walked downstairs to watch Margaret toss a message in a bottle into the bay (which, by the way, is a super creative idea and I'm jealous I'm not as creative as Margaret.) There was some Turkish music playing in the background and somehow, I have no idea how, we all ended up dancing around with some Turkish men from a nearby car. I was really hesitant to join in but I knew it was an opportunity I shouldn't miss. More and more people joined in including a really nice lady who we all gave gifts to later. Everyone was clapping and dancing around and the joy was contagious. It was a moment that really made me realize how much the trip has let me release my inhibition and learn not to care about judgement. I hope that I can apply what I've learned on the pilgrimage to my life from now on. 
- Lydia

1 comment:

  1. Amazing description, Lydia! I'm so glad you had that experience, and that you are on such a pilgrimage with such a group of people. All my love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog. Make sure you do the verification thingie.