Thursday, June 13, 2013

Is-- tan--bullll!!!


In case you're wondering , yes we did sing that song riding into Istanbul- (well, at least I did). 



It occurred to me there no pictures of me on here. Just one so you know I'm really here! That's Charles and I with Din- A man from Malaysia who is a missionary for Islam!! He was really sweet and we had a nice talk about God and Jesus. This kind of stuff happens all the time to us. Pilgrim travel opens your heart and inclines me toward openness. I am seeing this is true for everyone else as well.
Cengis- our shepherd, friend and your guide. We all love this dude!! 

We 've just finished a nice meal - roasted fresh fish- and we're going out to find some baklava.

Tonight we watched an authentic Sufi whirling dervish ceremony. The place where we saw it was really authentic- a live band with a lute, psalter and recorder and a drummer with all kinds of drums. 5 singers chanted and sang while 5 young men danced , spinning and moving in  a circle. These were real Sufis, too- most of them prayed to themselves and one even had tears at one point. God was there!


:
Today was great- lots of gorgeous stuff- (see pics). I'm going to pass this around for some comment.

But first two pictures from Aya Sofya-

What's left of a tile Mosaic of Jesus:

John the Baptist

And a cross that was chiseled into the wall- I am pretty sure someone did this a long time ago...

Margaret:
It's the second to last day, and I'm overflowing with thin moments in my journey: throwing a message in a bottle into the Sea of Marmara and giving one of my gifts to a dervish dancer.



Alexander
Walking into the dungeon that was the whirling dervish dancer cave, I had no idea what to expect. However, the dancers performed in a quiet relaxing tempo that made me stop and think about how incredible this trip and country has been.


Alicia
 I tried the Sebzeli Kebap a lunch it was actually pretty delicious!

Kathy:

I danced a Turkish dance with a man  that jumped out of his van on the ferry that we took across the Marmara. Soon we had a full circle!!

Here are some other random photos of our pilgrims getting dressed to go into the Blue Mosque:


And finally, a picture at "Kafkas" a roadside candy store we have called "the Turkish stuckeys" we are some halva we bought there- kind of like cake batter cheese... 

Great day. Talk to you tomorrow!!




2 comments:

  1. Seeing the beautiful art from Hagia Sophia made me wonder, has it felt strange to any of you to see all of these important early Christian sites in a country where Christianity is basically a dead religion? I think it would feel strange to me, but maybe that's just because I'm up too late and not quite with it at the moment! Anyway, possible food for thought. --Carey Fletcher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort Stop!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog. Make sure you do the verification thingie.