Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trying New Things- Alicia Cantrell




 "It is not about the destination but the journey"  The first day that we arrived in Turkey, Tim told us to think of a goal for our trip. My choice was to try new foods. This was not easy for me because I am a very picky eater, as my mother may say. I have been trying many new types of food for every meal.


Out of every meal we have had I  have most enjoyed two specific ones: a chicken stew with rice and hot Turkish pancakes.There has been one food that I have found to love in Turkey, which is the ice cream. I have missed my mother's lovely meals and I appreciate them now more than ever. My journey with Turkish food has been very difficult, but I have been trying my hardest. Wish me luck



Random Update/ Thoughts
We rode today through a gorgeous countryside through Olive groves and farms. We are in Iznik tonight and tomorrow we head in to Istanbul. So excited. Sleep is demanding my attnetion right now, though, so I posted a few photos. More to come. 


A silk on wool rug we saw at a rug cooperative




The dogs here are so happy!


Fatma let Margaret tie a few knots in the rug she was making.

Cathrine and Whit learn the rug trade and get to tie knots.




The "snake tunnel" at the Askeipeion. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia,
    I know that trying different foods is a task for you but I am glad that you tried something different.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip and God Bless you and your fellow pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia, What a neat goal you chose to pursue. Once I heard someone say that if they didn't like a certain food, they would try it again months later to see if their tastes had changed. That's kind of am ambitious goal, it strikes me, but the idea is certainly an admirable one! What a dear compliment you paid to your Mom's cooking. Eat on! Mama Weinmann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi TT,

    I am happy to know that you are enjoying your trip and that you are learning from your experience. Continue experimenting with the food. The picture of the meal you posted looks scruptous, I wish I had it to eat at this moment. Enjoy the last few days and may you and all the pilgrims continue to stay safe.

    Love always,
    Auntie TT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog. Make sure you do the verification thingie.